Brian, originally from a small west coastal town in Scotland has no family links with horses, or horse racing for that matter but decided after a childhood of watching racing and having a few bets on Saturdays that this was the industry destined for him to be in.
After finishing school at 16 he was straight to the British Racing School in Newmarket and from there he has never looked back.
Several years ago he made the move to Dorset, Brian took out his ‘permit’ in August 2011 along with his partner Daisy Hitchins, and have had a great deal of success along the way, having had a personal best horse racing season last year both on the flat and National Hunt they have already started well with a winner under each code already!
The facilities at Tall Trees Stud itself has been developed massively over the last few years from a small stable to a state of the art training facility that has everything to offer.
The progression still continues as they are currently building another 16 box barn and further facilities.
Brian and his team take time, care and attention to establish what the horse needs and enjoys to do his very best on the racetrack. Nothing is spared for any of the horses and all of them love their work and enjoy life! At any time you are welcome to come and have a look round and see for yourself, below are some of the facilities we have.
- Monarch Solarium with full rubber floor
- Miles of extensive, railed, brand new all weather gallops, that never, ever miss a day due to bad weather
- The full use of a woodchip hill gallop if we wanted to do something different with one or two
- First class grass schooling ground with rows of racecourse hurdles, schooling fences, tyres and poles
- An all weather schooling lane for when the grass is too wet in the winter, so we can keep the horses jumping
- Starting stalls on the grass, which is a great education for the young horses
- A brand new sand lunge ring, good for lunging, loose schooling and light turnout
- Large, spacious, light, well ventilated stables each with a back window to look over the open countryside. The windows are shut at night time in the winter to keep them nice and cosy!
- Brand new 5 Horse walker, which is great for light exercise when the horses are coming back into work
- Rubberised, safe, spacious wash down box with warm, hot and cold water from an overhead hose, very useful on the colder days
- Brand new 40ft turnout pen, ideal for fresh ones and the colts so they can still enjoy the grass!
- We have a large grass yearling ground which is great for teaching the babies to go up and down the undulations and round both ways to help their steering!
- We also have many different sized turnout paddocks which are brilliant for helping the horses to chill out
- We have our own brand new state of the art horse box with its own CCTV and cooling system so our horses can travel in complete saftey and comfort
- First class owners room/office for maximum comfort and enjoyment
- Brand new onsite luxury staff accommodation
- Safe & secure loading bay with an astro turf finish to make it very safe for the ones that can be awkward to load!
More information on Racing Post